Skepticism

Comment o’ the Week: PROFESSIONAL EDITION

Hey kids, it’s my first Skepchick post as an unemployed roustabout! (Yes, I said I quit two weeks ago, but what I technically did was give my notice. I am, believe it or not, an honorable person.) I believe you’ll notice the increase in quality of this week’s COTW, written from my couch while watching this week’s episode of Glee (AWESOME), compared to last week’s COTW, which was written between bites of salad during a harried lunch break.

HoodieI’m wearing my pink Skepchick hoodie in honor of the occasion! And also because it’s a little chilly in here. Note: the actual hoodie is spelled forwards. Thanks, Photo Booth. THUMBS UP!

Anyway, on to Comment o’ the Week, which is chosen from amongst the comments you nominate by clicking the little arrow by the comment and writing “COTW!” somewhere in your response.

This week’s prizewinner was posted in response to Sam’s Afternoon Inquisition, in which he asked whether or not Texas schools should remove Neil Armstrong from textbooks because he’s not a scientist. Mark Hall responded:

+++

Mark HallNo Gravatar // Sep 22, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Neil Armstrong is a good figurehead for one of the greatest scientific achievements of the 20th century. He may not have been the one who did all the mathematical heavy lifting of sending humans to the moon, but he was definitely willing to participate in testing the question of “Is all this shit gonna work?” with the hypothesis of “I really fucking hope so.”

If that’s not cutting edge science, I don’t know what is.

+++

I’d like to see that on a science fair display board.

Congrats, Mark! Your prize is to choose next Wednesday’s Afternoon Inquisition. Send it in using the contact form.

BONUS RUNNERS-UP: Bjornar’s queries regarding Jesus’ various comings, and slxpluv putting dibs on the Native American Nations.

Happy Friday, everyone!

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter or on Google+.

AI: Wanting to Believe

1. September 25, 2009 at 12:28 pm —

I nominated the winning COTW – I feel strangely excited.

2. September 25, 2009 at 12:34 pm —

@Andrew Nixon: HA! I did that once too. I felt cool by association.
    Nice job Mark!

3. September 25, 2009 at 12:57 pm —

@Andrew Nixon: Aye… I like to think it is “cool by proxy”

Hee.

4. September 25, 2009 at 12:57 pm —

Go to Photo Booth, Edit, down to “Auto Flip New Photos”. Uncheck it. I am deployed and all of the photos that my kids sent me were backwards and freaking me out, until I saw the option to flip the photos. Hope I’m not telling you something you already know!

5. September 25, 2009 at 2:18 pm —

@intelligenceresigned: I did already know it, but the idea of flipped photos freaking you out really made me laugh!

6. September 25, 2009 at 2:33 pm —

@Rebecca: Welcome to the wonderful world of the “self employed”. Soon more than your hoody will appear backwards. It’s a wonderful life. :)

7. September 25, 2009 at 2:45 pm —

Yay! A runner-up mention. My day’s been made!

8. September 26, 2009 at 3:56 am —

The sad part is that my book, from Palladium Books, was shipped out today and, due to drama over there… I’m actually more unalloyedly happy about this than I am about my book being published.

9. September 26, 2009 at 4:09 am —

And, I sent in Wednesday’s AI already, because I don’t want to forget to do so.

10. September 28, 2009 at 8:53 am —

Mark, you are my new email signature.

11. September 28, 2009 at 11:46 am —