I’ve been informed that my talk for the New York City Skeptics is now available as a free MP3! If you missed the event and want to know where all the skeptical women are, head to their site and have a listen.

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org and appears on the weekly Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter or on Google+.

Skepical Colorado

1. Profile photo of JOHNEA13
    March 11, 2008 at 7:49 am —

I went back and reread Shermers book to find the part about gender and belief. I'm surprised he so firmly asserts that conclusions are wrong because of limited sampling but then makes a concrete conclusion based on anecdotal evidence (his observations at meetings attended by mostly men). Earlier in the book he talks about not making conclusions from anecdotal evidence. A logical question to him would have been: were there an equal number of meetings attended primarily by woman on the "womens beliefs" . A possibility could be that men are more apt to attend meetings. Anyway, great talk Rebecca.

2. Profile photo of Rebecca Watson
    March 11, 2008 at 7:58 am —

Thanks, guys, glad you enjoyed it.

JOHNEA13: it is surprising. He may have additional evidence up his sleeve that he for some reason didn't cite, but I've yet to find any. That said, no one is perfect and I think that in this case he was simply misled by anecdotal evidence.

3. Profile photo of Paul Mohr
    March 11, 2008 at 8:55 am —

Very informative and great background on the site and it’s history. The use of multimedia and the layout of the site is very impressive. I only recently discovered it and I am still learning.

4. Profile photo of Sam Ogden
    March 11, 2008 at 12:22 pm —

Great job, Rebecca!

Just wondering: How many women were in the audience?

5. Profile photo of Rebecca Watson
    March 11, 2008 at 12:28 pm —

Thanks Sam! According to MWare, the audience was about 40% women and noticeably younger than in previous lectures for NYC Skeptics. Skepchick-power activate!

6. Profile photo of Sam Ogden
    March 11, 2008 at 12:34 pm —

Wow, 40%! Things are looking better all the time.

I recall TAM I, the only women in the place were the hotel employees.

Oh, and . . . Form of a booze hound!

7. Profile photo of
    March 11, 2008 at 12:37 pm —

That was good.. I wish I had been there in person. Oh well, someday…

8. Profile photo of MWare
    March 11, 2008 at 1:08 pm —

Without being able to see the unicorns in Rebecca’s presentation, I think you really miss out a bit, but NYC Skeptics will be selling DVD’s of all of our public lectures later this year.

9. Profile photo of MWare
    March 12, 2008 at 4:10 am —

If anybody is having difficulty accessing the site today, we have been overwhelmed by skepchick enthusiasm. We will be upgrading our service ASAP and you should be able to access the site and the MP3 later today. Yet again, Rebecca has forced us to step up our game!

10. Profile photo of Rebecca Watson
    March 12, 2008 at 11:25 am —

Sorry, MWare! (No I'm not. HA!)