That’s right: YOU, and ME, in New York City. Does it get any better? I doubt it. I’m giving a talk for the NYC Skeptics on Saturday, February 16 at 1pm. The event is free and located at University Settlement, 184 Eldridge St. (at Rivington St., two blocks south of Houston).

I am demanding that you all show up. Or at least, all of you in the Northeast — hey, I’m coming all the way from Boston, so it’s the least you can do. We’ll definitely be heading to a bar or restaurant immediately after and talking/laughing/partying all night. So be there! Click the awesome banner below for more details.

Oh, and don’t forget to take the survey! It’s still open.

Um, oh . . . and also I just noticed I got the title a bit wrong so I edited. It was like 5am when I wrote that.

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org and appears on the weekly Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter or on Google+.

Skepchick Quickies for 1.31

Lol-ling along

1. Profile photo of Rav Winston
    January 31, 2008 at 8:38 am —

Yeah! Naked faces! Aaaarrrrghhh! Put on a veil or summat! Cos I can't control MY urges! It must be YOUR fault!

(Sorry– couldnae resist! Hee, hee, hee!)

YEAH! Skeptic Roadtrip! We could even meet up at the bus station in Philly Chinatown! (If my car isnae good enough for youse.)

2. Profile photo of Stacey
    January 31, 2008 at 8:44 am —

(That's the photo that got Rebecca accused of being a nudist on myspace)

3. Profile photo of writerdd
    January 31, 2008 at 8:47 am —

Crap, I'll be in New York the weekend after that! Have fun.

4. Profile photo of Rav Winston
    January 31, 2008 at 8:47 am —

Oh. I don't frequent MySpace. Maybe I'll go have a look.

5. Profile photo of MWare
    January 31, 2008 at 9:21 am —

Hey everyone. I'm one of the guys organizing this event and inviting disaster by allowing Rebecca and her evil minions to invade our peaceful little city.

If anybody has any questions or needs any additional information please don't hesitate to drop me a line ([email protected]). Also, feel free to check our events page (www.nycskeptics.org/event) for more information about this and other events we have coming up. Finally, I will put out a thread on our forum (www.nycskeptics.org/forum) in case anybody wants to coordinate travel plans or anything. I'd put it on the skepchick forum, but I've heard rumors that the forum's days may be numbered :)

Thanks again to Rebecca for agreeing to participate in this year's lecture series and we hope to see you all there!

–Matt

6. Profile photo of P.E. Robinson
    January 31, 2008 at 9:24 am —

Bah! You know I would be there usually…but I think I'll be in CT on that day. :-(

btw…nice TMBG/Cub reference ;-)

7. Profile photo of Rebecca Watson
    January 31, 2008 at 9:28 am —

CT is even closer to NY than MA! You have no excuses, goodguyseatpie.

And yes, good eye there, Stacey, that is in fact my nudist picture. HOWEVER, I'll point out that I neither chose the pic nor created the banner. That was all Matt. Perv.

8. Profile photo of Rav Winston
    January 31, 2008 at 9:38 am —

So, like, is anyone gonna try to arrange a mini-skeptical roadtrip? I don't feel like paying Amtrack and SEPTA $130.00 for a roundtrip ticket.

9. Profile photo of MWare
    January 31, 2008 at 9:52 am —

"That was all Matt. Perv."

While I actually wasn't the one who made that graphic, I can't really argue with the Perv characterization. Rebecca, while we don't expect you to give the lecture in the nude, we have no formal policy forbidding it. ;)

10. Profile photo of Rav Winston
    January 31, 2008 at 9:54 am —

Well, that's ONE way to ensure good attendance….

11. Profile photo of MWare
    January 31, 2008 at 10:05 am —

Hopefully in the next day or so I'll have a fairly comprehensive set of travel options posted for anybody interested in coming in from out-of-state.

12. Profile photo of Rav Winston
    January 31, 2008 at 11:51 am —

I'm in Brookhaven. About five minutes from Weidner University. Are you a Philly Kid, too?

13. Profile photo of Rav Winston
    January 31, 2008 at 12:10 pm —

Do you take public transportation from Boston, or do you drive?

I’m currently unemployed, so it’s dang expensive to get into NYC for me– But if there are any other skeptics in the Delaware Valley who’d like to carpool–? *hint! hint!* I have a comfy Subaru Outback with cargo space that’ll comfortably take five skeptics up the jersey Turnpike!

I’m pretty sure I can swing this if we can defray the costs amongst ourselves.

14. Profile photo of Joshua
    January 31, 2008 at 12:30 pm —

Skeptic roadtrip! Are there any other Bostonians going other than Rebecca and (probably, I still have to check my schedule) me? Even if we all pack onto a Fung Wah or Greyhound, it’d be sweet to travel in a pack and descend on New York in a swarm of skeptical fury, devouring all pseudoscience in our path.

15. Profile photo of Stacey
    January 31, 2008 at 12:34 pm —

That’s shameless of you to use your nudist photo in the promo banner.

16. Profile photo of Diogenes
    January 31, 2008 at 12:59 pm —

Now I got that Cub song stuck in my head again. Thanks a lot.

17. Profile photo of devolve
    January 31, 2008 at 2:15 pm —

/Bets Sam will be a "guest speaker" just to piss in the punchbowl.

18. Profile photo of TomDG
    January 31, 2008 at 2:41 pm —

NJ suburbs, but pretty much.

19. Profile photo of TomDG
    January 31, 2008 at 2:46 pm —

If anybody else in the area needs a ride up I can fit four people (excluding) in my car.

20. Profile photo of Michael
    January 31, 2008 at 1:50 pm —

Actually, I designed the banner and chose the pic, so the blame lies with me. :-) Given Rebecca’s predilection for the arousing, it was all I could do to resist changing the title of her lecture to something like “Skepchick on Skepchicks.”

21. Profile photo of Melusine
    January 31, 2008 at 1:55 pm —

Hmm…$26 on Metro-North to NYC off-peak on Saturday…friend in NYC to say hello too…could be interesting. :-)

22. Profile photo of Rav Winston
    January 31, 2008 at 2:56 pm —

So, Tom DG– If we go up together, that's two… Do you live near Cinnaminson, or Cherry Hill?

23. Profile photo of Kerry Maxwell
    January 31, 2008 at 3:53 pm —

Another Bostonian interested in the roadtrip idea.

24. Profile photo of Rebecca Watson
    January 31, 2008 at 4:00 pm —

I have access to all the email addresses you guys signed up with. If you post here that you're okay with me sharing it with others in your area, I can send out some messages so people can arrange rides!

25. Profile photo of Rav Winston
    January 31, 2008 at 4:15 pm —

I'm cool with that. So long as we don't have to post our data in public.

26. Profile photo of TomDG
    January 31, 2008 at 3:34 pm —

Rav where do you live? I Live about 15 minutes outside of Philly so The Delaware valley wouldn’t be that far out of the way for me.

27. Profile photo of Blake Stacey
    January 31, 2008 at 4:29 pm —

Since I don’t think I’ll be able to make TAM 6, I should probably try all the harder to attend this event.

28. Profile photo of Jen
    January 31, 2008 at 4:43 pm —

I think I’m booked that weekend, darn the luck. I’m also depressed that TAM 6 will be two weeks after I’m already planning to be in Vegas … maybe I’ll have a windfall of cash between now and then and will be able to afford some extra traveling.

29. Profile photo of Teapot In Orbit
    January 31, 2008 at 6:35 pm —

Hey Gang

I live in Philly (center city) and I'd be interested in making the trip up with someone. I can throw in for gas money+buy you a drink afterwards. Or at the very least someone to ride SEPTA or the chinatown bus with.

Feel free to share my info

mlrusso[at]gmail[dot]com

30. Profile photo of flygrrl
    January 31, 2008 at 5:36 pm —

Aaaargh! I will be in NYC one week later!!! If you’re ever out Chicago way, I’ll do my best to be there though.

31. Profile photo of flygrrl
    January 31, 2008 at 5:38 pm —

Oh, duh, correction. I mean one MONTH later. Still a near miss.

32. Profile photo of Joshua
    January 31, 2008 at 7:21 pm —

Rebecca, I'm ok with that as well.

33. Profile photo of Kerry Maxwell
    January 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm —

If you post here that you’re okay with me sharing it with others in your area, I can send out some messages so people can arrange rides!

Sounds good.

34. Profile photo of vreify
    January 31, 2008 at 10:40 pm —

Exciting!

I’m near Philadelphia too. I was just planning to hop onto a train to Philly and then take a Chinatown bus.

35. Profile photo of Rav Winston
    January 31, 2008 at 11:51 pm —

Coolness! How many of us Philadelphians are there? Can we all fit into one vehicle? Or should we all descend upon Suburban Station and head to Chinatown?

36. Profile photo of vreify
    January 31, 2008 at 11:04 pm —

*and sorry for double posting, but feel free to share my info as well.
    Teapot, we can probably go together.

37. Profile photo of waltdakind
    January 31, 2008 at 11:59 pm —

Isn’t the thread title from a They Might Be Giants song?

I’ll be coming from central New Jersey, about midway between NYC and Philadelphia. So, any Philadelphians who can make it to the halfway point can either hop into my car or I hop into theirs… shared expenses are good for the environment and the wallet.. :-)

38. Profile photo of Joshua
    February 1, 2008 at 1:23 am —

Nah, it’s a Cub song.

Although evidently TMBG covered it.

39. Profile photo of waltdakind
    February 1, 2008 at 8:57 am —

Thanks for turning me on to Cub. I like!

Also, I am willing share my info for purposes of coordinating shared transportation, though it is seeming like the Philadelphians will be using mass transit.

Skeptics from Jersey, represent!

40. Profile photo of Rav Winston
    February 1, 2008 at 10:02 am —

Wait– HAVE we actually decided to transit en masse-?

41. Profile photo of TomDG
    February 1, 2008 at 4:40 pm —

I live write in between the two in Moorestown

42. Profile photo of Rav Winston
    February 1, 2008 at 4:43 pm —

I know the area well.

43. Profile photo of TomDG
    February 1, 2008 at 4:45 pm —

Also I have been able to fit about 7 people into my car. Plus I have heard my trunk is quite comfortable if I clear it out.

44. Profile photo of Rav Winston
    February 1, 2008 at 4:47 pm —

Okay– I wouldnae mind joining a caravan. Also, I don't drink much. So if a designated driver is needed, I could be persuaded.

45. Profile photo of TomDG
    February 1, 2008 at 4:48 pm —

I'm okay with sharing too

46. Profile photo of Rav Winston
    February 1, 2008 at 4:56 pm —

So, Rebecca should put us all in touch with one another. We'll have several people from the Philadelphia/South Jersey area. How many cars will we have/need for all of us? Actually– how many of us ARE there down here?

47. Profile photo of exarch
    February 3, 2008 at 8:36 am —

Now there's something that the skepchick census could've been good for …